5/31/09 - Modena, Utah
Modena is an unincorporated community along State Route 56 9.4 miles east of the Nevada border in southwestern Utah.
The exact source of the name is tough to nail down. One source states that an Italian laborer named the railroad camp after Modena, Italy. Another relates that a Chinese cook would call out periodically, "Mo'dinna, mo'dinna" during the serving of dinner. An earlier name was Deseret Springs.
With the advent of the railroad in Iron County and its arrival in the Modena area in December 1899, Brigham J. Lund, along with two partners, E. M. Brown and Jose Price, started a small business venture there. In time they were freighting to St. George, Utah; Pioche, Nevada and Delamar. Lund soon bought out his partners and in 1903 incorporated under the name of B. J. Lund & Company. The name "Lund" is still found on several buildings in town including the General Merchandise & Hotel building.
The change from steam to diesel by the railroad brought about the demise of Modena which today is almost a ghost town; several families remain.
Diana+/Fuji Reala 100